AFP
The UK’s Catastrophes Emergency Committee (DEC) appeals to help the thousands of people injured and moved following the powerful earthquake last week which struck Myanmar and the region in the broad sense.
Composed of 15 British aid agencies, including the British Red Cross, Oxfam and Save The Children, the DEC asks the British public public before the arrival of the monsoon season in two months.
According to leaders of the Military Government of Myanmar, more than 2,800 people died and more than 4,500 were injured.
C charitable organizations say that refuge, medicines, food, water and species support are “necessary”.
Baroness Chapman, Minister of Development, said that public donations to the DEC call would be equaled by the government, up to the value of 5 million pounds sterling.
DEC CEO, Saleh Saeed, said the situation was “more and more critical”.
“Funds are urgent to help families access vital humanitarian aid after this disaster,” he said.
Multiple international aid agencies and foreign governments have sent staff and supplies to the regions struck by earthquake.
Myanmar was already faced with a serious humanitarian crisis before the earthquake of the magnitude of 7.7 due to the civil war in progress there, the DEC believing that a third of the population needs aid.
The country was seized by violence in the midst of the conflict between the junta – which seized power in a coup in 2021 and ethnic militias and forces of resistance across the country.
On Wednesday, the Military Government of Myanmar announced a temporary cease-fire on April 22, saying that it was aimed at accelerating help and reconstruction efforts.
Rebel groups had already unilaterally declared a ceasefire to support help efforts earlier this week, but the army had refused to do the same until the announcement on Wednesday.
The humanitarian workers have been attacked in Myanmar. Tuesday evening, the army opened fire on a convoy of the Chinese Red Cross with rescue supplies from the earthquake.
Nine of the vehicles of the charitable organization have been attacked. The UN and certain charities have accused the military junta of blocking access.
Reuters
Help is sent from all over the world to help communities struck with disaster
ARETE / DEC
Mandalay City was near the epicenter of the 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck Friday
The modeling of the US Geological Survey estimates that the number of deaths of Myanmar could exceed 10,000, while the cost of damages of infrastructure could exceed the country’s annual economic production.
The roads, the water services and the buildings, including hospitals, were destroyed, in particular in Mandalay, the city hit hard near the epicenter.
In Thailand, at least 21 people died.
The Red Cross also made an urgent appeal for $ 100 million (77 million pounds sterling), while the UN asks $ 8 million of donations for its response.
“People need medical care, drinking water, tents, food and other basic necessities,” the International Rescue Committee (IRC) said on Monday.
The DEC brings together 15 main charitable support organizations in the United Kingdom to provide and provide help to ensure successful calls.
The call will be broadcast on the BBC and other media throughout Thursday.